A protein diet is not only the perfect way to lose fat, but is also a great option for gaining muscle mass. The main problem of our society is the eternal struggle with excess weight, so we will focus on the ability to burn fat in a protein diet.
According to statistics, 90% of people call a protein diet a complete rejection of simple and complex carbohydrates with a maximum intake of protein foods of animal origin. In fact, this is a completely wrong conclusion, because long-term rejection of carbohydrate foods causes many unpleasant moments. The most common are complications of the gastrointestinal tract and impaired renal function. In order not to dispel unnecessary myths, it is necessary to properly apply a protein diet for weight loss.
Pierre Dukan is considered the originator of the protein diet, however the benefits of protein foods have been known in earlier periods. Well-known nutritionists and scientists from the last century have repeatedly mentioned the benefits of proper distribution of nutrients. The Robert Atkins diet also has many similarities to the protein diet. Therefore, we can conclude that this is the merit of all nutritionists and scientists who have dedicated their lives to studying proper nutrition for humans.
Key features of a protein diet
Forget the name of this weight loss method, because no one will forbid you to consume carbohydrates. Do not draw conclusions based on the name of the child. To ensure a positive energy balance and the normal functioning of all internal organs, complex carbohydrates should be found in any fat burning complex, and a protein diet is no exception. The body constantly needs a whole range of nutrients, vitamins and minerals. What many call a protein-based weight loss method can be attributed to a carbohydrate-free diet, the essence of which is the alternation of protein and carbohydrate days.
Relax, because fats and carbohydrates will become an integral part of weight loss, but will be consumed at a certain time when the body needs it most. You will definitely not have to starve, using the protein method of weight loss, because you will have an unlimited number of meals a day. The more basic meals and snacks, the faster your metabolism will be, and the speed of biochemical processes depends on whether the body transfers calories to subcutaneous fat or not.
The protein menu should be planned in advance. It is ideal to prepare all the necessary food early in the morning and distribute it evenly in the bowls. Now every two hours, no matter where you are, at home, at work or on public transport, you can eat pre-cooked food. Admission can be from 4 to 10, there is no clear recommendation, everything is very individual.
When are carbohydrates and when are proteins?
All carbohydrates should be ingested in the first half of the day, preferably before 13. 00. In the morning, all glycogen stores (extra energy that the body accumulates in muscle tissue and the human liver) are completely depleted, so carbohydrate intake is necessary here. even to a person who wants to get rid of subcutaneous fat. All the calories received will go to the body’s energy needs.
For the same reason, it is considered ideal to do a morning run that burns clean subcutaneous fat, but otherwise, if the glycogen store is empty. This forces the body to use alternative energy sources.
What should be the amount of carbohydrates?
The amount of complex carbohydrates must be determined individually. Some may lose pounds by eating 200 grams of rice a day, others will gain weight by consuming that amount of carbohydrates. The main thing is not to overdo it and gradually reduce the amount of carbohydrates in the diet.
For example, if you are consuming 2500 calories a day, you do not have to reduce your food intake to 1500 the next day. This body will be considered a threat to existence and the body will start taking measures to slow down the burning of subcutaneous fat. First, the metabolism will be significantly reduced, and second, even the scarce amount of calories supplied will be converted into subcutaneous fat. If your goal is a long-term marathon, do a carb load once a week and significantly increase your complex carbs.
- rice, buckwheat, whole wheat pasta; various cereals; oatmeal;
- Use lemon fruit from fruit;
- Eat tomatoes, cucumbers, cabbage in unlimited quantities of vegetables.
How to eat protein foods?
With protein foods, things are much easier, after 1 pm, in regular meals, without a throat, you eat protein foods, naturally low in fat. You can eat fruits and vegetables in unlimited quantities, in the first stages of the diet, then it is necessary to exclude fruits that contain simple carbohydrates, such as bananas, apples, grapes and everything that is included in this product category.
Among animal proteins, give preference to the following products:
- lean meat, beef, chicken breast, rabbit, poultry and veal;
- dairy products with a fat content not exceeding 5%;
- eggs, seafood and sea fish, which will provide your body not only with first-class proteins, but also with healthy omega fats.
Who is the protein diet for?
- First of all, professional athletes and young people who lead an active lifestyle can fall into this category. The value of a protein diet for the above people lies in the ability to burn subcutaneous adipose tissue without much loss of muscle mass. If you want to maximize muscle gain, it is also possible with a protein meal without an obvious increase in fat.
- It is not recommended to deal with excess body fat using a protein menu for the elderly. For full digestion and assimilation of protein foods, excellent health and 100% work of all internal organs is required. Naturally, when a person is older than 50, his body is not as productive as at a younger age. Therefore, an older person will not be able to tolerate a protein diet without consequences for their health. Complications of the following nature can occur: the appearance of blood clots, increased blood clotting and problems with the digestive system. It is not worth experimenting, it is better to apply more appropriate methods for people of this age category.
- Men are more prone to a protein diet than women, due to the fact that they like to eat more meat. The beautiful half of humanity finds it harder to find than sweets and adjust to eating animal-derived proteins. In principle, the protein menu can be changed, and other protein products can be used instead of meat: fish, eggs, dairy products, seafood.
- Pregnant women can use a protein diet for weight loss with deep effectiveness without harming the baby and their health. Eating this way will help normalize weight and prevent daily gains and excessive water retention.
- If you are in excellent health and want to lose weight, of course, a protein diet will suit you. This method is not as difficult and is difficult to tolerate as some mono diets, so sticking to a protein menu you will not experience psychological and physical discomfort.
Principles of protein diet
Proper distribution of nutrients during the day allows you to control the secretion of the hormone insulin, which is manifested only if a person has a lot of sweets or complex carbohydrates. Blood glucose rises drastically, and insulin transfers excess energy to subcutaneous fat.
Carbohydrates in the morning are the basic fuel that gives the body energy during the day. Protein foods and fiber require the body to expend significantly more calories to assimilate and digest food than that food initially contains, making it impossible to gain extra pounds from them. On the other hand, the protein menu stimulates metabolism, which is why bodybuilders consume whey protein before bed.
Benefits of a protein diet
- Complete combustion of subcutaneous fat and maximum retention of muscle mass. Which is important even for the female sex.
- It speeds up the metabolism, which allows you not to gain extra weight long after canceling the diet. If you lead a healthy lifestyle after eliminating protein foods, you can forget about fat forever.
- There is no psychological or physical pressure, because your diet consists of a wide range of tasty and healthy food.
- Ability to stick to a protein diet for a long time.
- The body receives all the necessary nutrients, vitamins and minerals.
Damage to the protein diet
If you stick to a classic protein diet and consume only protein, and do not use the previously described carbohydrate scheme, this can have some negative consequences.
- First, long-term protein intake can cause calcium leaching from the body and micronutrients, which will seriously impair the health of your skeletal system.
- Second, a pure protein menu negatively affects kidney and digestive system function. Therefore, people who have diseases of the above organs should not adhere to a protein diet.
- Third, if you are over 60, forget about the protein regimen, use a mixed diet to actively burn subcutaneous fat. Talk to your doctor and dietitian before applying a protein-based weight loss method.
How long does it take to stick to a protein diet to achieve results?
There is no single answer to this question, it all depends on many factors. The main ones are: age, sex, presence of disease, percentage of body fat, genetic predisposition for weight gain. For example, if you are 40 years old and have just decided to get rid of the pounds you have accumulated over the years, it will be difficult to convince your body to start consuming emergency supplies.
The main thing is not to be too proactive and not to speed up the weight loss process. The usual loss is from 0, 5 to 2 pounds per week, there is no need to accelerate. The protein diet described in our article can be used until the desired result is achieved, it contains carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals, so damage to health is excluded.
Sample protein menu for the week
- 200 gr. pour oatmeal with one tablespoon of honey
- Eat any fast-carb fruit like a banana
- 200 gr. cooked chicken breast + large portion of vegetable salad
- 150 gfresh cheese with a fat content of not more than 5% and two oranges
- Half a liter of kefir with a fat content of not more than 2. 5%
- 200 gr. buckwheat porridge with vegetables
- Eat two big apples
- 200 gr. boiled beef + vegetable salad
- 200 gr. sea fish + one grapefruit
- 300 gr. curdled milk
- 200 gr. cooked rice with vegetables
- 50 mountains + a spoonful of honey
- 200 gr. boiled veal + vegetable salad
- 300 gr. yogurt with a fat content not exceeding 2, 5%
- 200 gr. Mix coarse wheat pasta with 50 gr. cottage cheese
- One apple and a banana
- 200 gr. boiled beef + vegetable salad
- 200 gr. seafood
- 300 gr. milk
- 200 gr. pea porridge + 100 gr. boiled fish
- Two tablespoons of honey
- Large salad with olive oil
- 200 gr. chicken fillet + three cucumbers
- Three boiled eggs
- 200 gr. cooked beans with vegetables
- 200 gr. fruit salad + spoon of honey
- 200 gr. boiled veal with vegetables
- 150 gneiss cheese
- 0. 5 liters of kefir
- 200 gr. boiled potatoes + vegetable salad
- 200 gr. any fruit
- 200 gr. boiled beef + lemon fruit
- 150 fresh cheese
- 400 curdled milk
The amount of carbohydrates consumed is individual, start your morning meals with your usual carbohydrate intake and gradually eliminate calories until you see that the process of burning fat has begun.
Eat fiber between meals to help your digestive system absorb protein. Water must be drunk according to the individual requirements of the body. If the color of your urine is dark, you are not drinking enough water.
The menu shown is not an axiom, you can combine the reception of different products.
Use the above protein diet method if you want to make your body worthy of your spirit. And don’t forget that only a healthy lifestyle and active sports will prevent unwanted diseases and weight gain.